Application Checklist

Every program offered through Truman has its own unique application process, so our office is here to guide you through the process.

With over 500 programs in over 60 countries, there are so many ways to study abroad. We encourage you to explore programs on our website, attend the Study Abroad Fair held each semester, or find more events or information through our social media accounts. As you think, here are five important questions to ask yourself:

  1. Where do I want to go? Europe is popular destination, but there are also great places to consider in Asia, Central and South America, and Africa. English instruction is offered almost everywhere, so don’t let language stand in the way of a place that keeps grabbing your attention.
  2. When do I want to go and for how long? We offer everything from 2 week long faculty-led trips to year long exchange programs. You can go during a regular semester, over the summer, or during a Winter or May Interim.
  3. How much do I want to pay? There is a variety of scholarships and financial aid available for study abroad, but programs costs can vary. Looking for a less expensive program? Consider an exchange program or a program outside of Europe.
  4. What classes do I need to take? Classes taken abroad come back as electives by default, but if you plan carefully with your academic advisor you can arrange to substitute those classes for major, minor, and general degree requirements. Start this conversation early and make a plan.
  5. What type of experience do I want? Programs come in all shapes and sizes. Some require more independence and others create a ‘group feel’ and give lots of support. Some programs allow open course enrollment in a university, while others have a pre-set curriculum focused on a particular discipline.

Your Study Abroad Advisors are your main resource at Truman as your move through the entire process of studying abroad: from exploring programs and applying to pre-departure orientation and welcoming you back from your time abroad, we are here to help. So, as you begin preparing to study abroad, we highly encourage you to make an appointment to meet in person with a study abroad advisor. Whether you are still figuring out where you want to go or you are ready to begin your application, we will orient you to the whole process and get you started on the right foot.

The application process varies across our programs, your study abroad advisor will direct you with what to do. In some cases, you will need to apply directly through a study abroad provider’s website, and in others you will submit all your application materials directly to the Study Abroad Office. Most applications will ask you for personal and academic information, as well as academic references, transcripts, and passport information. Sometimes programs ask you to pre-select courses, while other programs will do enrollment after acceptance.

Please, do not begin an application to any study abroad program until you have had an initial meeting with a study abroad advisor.

The Study Abroad Office requires you to send us your most current official academic transcript from the Registrar’s Office. Once you are ready to begin applying to a specific program, stop into the Registrar’s office in McClain Hall and fill out a Study Abroad Transcript Request Form to have a copy of your transcript sent directly to the Study Abroad Office free of charge.

The Study Abroad Office requires a copy of the picture page of your passport to be on file here. If you do not have a passport for international travel, apply to receive one as soon as possible. You can email a copy to or bring your passport to our office and have us scan it. Even if you are considering going abroad in a year or two, apply for your passport now so you won’t have to scramble to get it later.
All semester programs will require one or two recommendations from your professors for their own applications. Some faculty-led programs may require recommendations. If your program does, the Study Abroad Office will reach out to you after you apply. Start talking to your professors early on about your plans to study abroad and give them plenty of notice when you ask them to complete one for you. At least one recommendations should normally come from a professor in your major. Students planning to study in a foreign language should also have at least one of their recommenders speak to their language proficiency. Your study abroad advisor will let you know how your recommenders will be contacted and what forms they will need to complete, as this varies from program to program.

If you are hoping to have credit from your study abroad experience count towards your major, minor, or Liberal Studies Program (LSP) requirements, you will need to develop a plan with your academic advisor or department chair. The availability of course materials varies from program to program, but we encourage you to gather as much information about courses you intend to take as possible before meeting with your academic advisor: preferably syllabi, but at least course names and descriptions. We encourage students to discuss alternate courses, as well, as classes abroad sometimes change or are cancelled. We highly advise you to get a plan down in writing by pre-filling a Substitution Form in order to establish clear expectations with your advisor and avoid any surprises upon return. Once you return from your program and have your grades submitted from the host university, you must complete (if you have not done so) and submit a Substitution Form to the Registrar in order to make course equivalencies official on your DegreeWorks.

Students with majors or minors in the Classical and Modern Languages department should use the Pre-Approval Course Forms below when planning substitutions.

Visa requirements vary significantly based on location and length of stay. General visa information can be found through the State Department’s Website. However, since many programs have their own way of guiding students to apply for visas, you should consult with the director of your particular study abroad program who will give you instructions on the steps you need to take. Though Truman’s Study Abroad Office can try to help students navigate the visa application process generally, applying for visas is not a service that our office provides. Please allow sufficient time for your visa to be processed so you can arrive to your program on time. Students studying abroad to Spain, France, and Italy often have to make a trip to a consulate’s office in the United States and (in consultation with their program) may want to schedule a visa appointment as soon as they have applied for their program.

Our Study Abroad Office can assist you in getting an estimate of your program expenses, but we also encourage you to have a conversation with the Financial Aid Office  in McClain Hall in order to get a clear understanding of how your financial aid and scholarships will apply to those study abroad costs. This can help you to develop a budget for both your Truman Bill and your out-of-pocket expenses for study abroad.

  • All students who want their Truman Scholarships to apply to their Study Abroad charges must complete and return a Study Abroad Scholarship Renewal Form.
  • All students who want FAFSA Grants and Loans or the Cultural Loan to apply to their Study Abroad charges must complete and return a Study Abroad Funding Sheet.
  • Students receiving the Pershing Scholarship to Study Abroad must complete this form.
  • Students applying for the Cultural Loan must complete the full loan application found here.
Truman students need to complete their registration agreement on TruView for the semester they will be abroad. The student will not register for classes for the semester abroad at Truman State. Students traveling abroad are responsible, though, for registering for their classes through the host institution. Our office will register each student that is studying abroad in a “place holder” class that will be replaced with your courses and grades once we receive your transcript from your host institution after the completion of your program.

All students who study abroad are required to attend a pre-departure orientation. For confirmed participants in Summer and Fall programs for 2019, the Pre-Departure orientation will occur on November 21st at 5pm in Baldwin 102. Participants for other terms will be notified of the date and location via email after your application has been approved.

Center for International Education Abroad
Truman State University
Baldwin 106
100 East Normal Avenue
Kirksville, MO 63501
(660) 785-4076