Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, students must apply to a program approved by the study abroad office in order to ensure enrollment at Truman and to receive the appropriate academic credit. The study abroad office is also there to help assist students before, during, and after their study abroad experience.
Simply put, yes, but you shouldn’t. There are many, many variables we consider in adding programs to our approved list and are constantly considering changes to the portfolio. Going on a non-approved program you would be doing so independently, not as a Truman student. This means, you will not be able to access financial aid, are not guaranteed transfer of credits back, and will not receive support from the CIEA.
Most students study abroad during their second or third year at Truman. It is typically not possible to study abroad on a semester long trip during your 1st year or during your final semester. Consult your academic and study abroad advisors to determine which time works best for you.

No! The majority of our programs offer English as the language of instruction and have no foreign language requirement. Look at the program to see if the courses (department or “faculty”) teach in English or the host language. Departments, like business or health sciences, tend to teach programs in English, even to local students. You will also have the assistance of faculty or an international office at their host institution to facilitate any administrative tasks, such as getting a phone, setting up a bank account, etc. For students looking to challenge themselves and improve their language skills, there are also immersive programs.

And you don’t have to go to a specific country just because you are studying that language – for example, you could take Spanish language courses at a university in Finland, or take French language courses at a university in Thailand!

Not with appropriate planning! Begin talking to your academic and study abroad advisors about studying abroad as soon as possible. We offer year-long, semester-long, summer interim, and winter interim study abroad options to work with a variety of graduation plans.
Any study abroad program will fulfill the intercultural competency requirement. Students will also receive general elective credit for all courses taken abroad, and many students substitute courses towards LSP and major/minor requirements. This is done by completing the Course Substitution Form and having it signed by your advisor and department chair. We recommend that students complete the Course Substitution Form after their program acceptance but prior to their departure. While abroad, students will be enrolled in a placeholder course that will be updated once a transcript after their time abroad.
If you have an academic scholarship or receive federal aid at Truman State University, you can use it in most every case to cover the costs of your study abroad program. Please speak to the Financial Aid office to discuss your options or view the Financial Aid section of our website.
Students complete and submit a Study Abroad Scholarship Renewal Form for their scholarship to apply and will have the service hours requirement waived for the semester spent abroad.
No, it isn’t that simple. Program review takes time and involves multiple offices within the institution. We want you to have the best experiences possible, and that takes lots of thought and consideration.
A list of financial aid opportunities can be found on the Financial Aid section of our website.
Housing accommodations vary by host institution. Options include staying with a host family, living in university housing, staying in a city apartment, and more. Be sure to check housing accommodations as you are researching program options.
Many countries require a visa allowing you to enter the country as a student if you are staying for more than 90 days. Each country has its own regulations, application process, and timeline. It is up to the student to obtain the proper visa. Your host institution and your host country’s consulate or embassy are good resources for finding what is needed for the application.
Students have varying levels of support while abroad. The study abroad office works with host institutions and providers to ensure student safety and will support the student with any course of action needed in case of an emergency. Students are enrolled in a comprehensive medical and travel insurance prior to their departure and are told how to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
Before departure, students should speak with their doctor about how they can get enough medicine for their trip. They should also check with the foreign embassy of the country you will be visiting or passing through to make sure your medicines are permitted in that country. While traveling, students should carry their medicine in the original containers along with a copy of the prescription. All students will be enrolled in medical insurance during their time abroad.
Sometimes, maybe. This depends on your specific program requirements, conditions of participation, etc. Some programs limit independent travel entirely and others limit independent travel to certain times or geographic areas. You may need to re-frame your mindset a bit and experience less independence than you do on campus – and keep in mind that studying abroad isn’t just taking classes on certain days or at certain times, it is an entire experience that is designed. Whatever the particular program guidelines, though, students should let their host institution know the details of your travel in case of an emergency.